United Way Online Donation System – E-Pledge FAQS

What is United Way EPledge?

United Way EPledge is an online system that allows you to donate without having to fill in a paper pledge card. Instead of receiving the pledge card in the mail, you will receive an email with a unique link. This will bring you to a page where you may choose various ways of donating. Donations can be one-time gifts or a monthly pledge.

Can I donate by cheque or cash?

Yes, all types of donations are welcome. If you are paying by cash or cheque, please follow the online instructions on where to mail your donation and please include your name and Employee ID so that your donation is registered correctly in the system.
When making donations by cash, please contact the Campaign Office at 822-8929 or united.way@ubc.ca.

For donations by cheque please post cheques together with name and telephone number to:


UBC United Way Campaign | Ceremonies Office
2029 West Mall, Ponderosa B, 2nd Floor
Vancouver, BC  Canada
V6T 1Z2 (Zone 2)

Financial Services
Mountain Weather office MWO100
3333 University Way
Kelowna, BC
V1V 1V7

Can I still donate to other charities through United Way EPledge? How can I make these types of donations through the new system?

Yes, you are able to donate to specific charities through United Way, as has been possible in the past. The unique link you receive from United Way EPledge will bring you to a page where you have a number of options. Among them will be the possibility to specify certain charities to receive your donation. See following FAQ for more precise information on this process.

Note: These types of donations are called designated gifts and there is a $17 fee associated with them. This fee is to cover administrative costs that United Way incurs through this method of donation. For more information click here.

I am having trouble finding the charity that I wish to designate my gift to. How do I find my charity?

When you access the United Way EPledge system to make a pledge you will have an option to donate to any registered Canadian charity. To find your charity, click on the “Another Registered Canadian Charity Look Up” button. Type in the name of your charity in the pop up box, do not punctuate or caps lock any of the text. When the search has been completed choose your charity by clicking on it and enter the amount you wish to designate to it.

If your charity is not found through the search function, you will be brought to a page that displays the message “No Record Found”. On this page you can then enter information about your charity. Please ensure that you enter as much correct information as possible so that United Way is able to designate your gift to the correct charity.

How does United Way get my email address?

The email address United Way uses is the email address you supplied to UBC Financial Services. The UBC United Way Campaign Office/United Way obtains this information from the payroll department in September of each year.

Can I opt-out?

Yes, the email you receive from United Way EPledge will have an opt-out option and when you opt out you will not receive any further emails.
To opt out you will need to follow the link you are given in the United Way EPledge email, create a  password and log in to United Way EPledge. When you log in, under the tab “Donate”, you can select “I do not wish to donate this year”. This process is to ensure that you fully and knowingly opt out of this program.

What if UBC doesn’t have my email address or I don’t get the email?

If you do not receive an email because you have not supplied one to payroll, please contact the UBC United Way Campaign office at united.way@ubc.ca. Send us your full name and current e-mail address. You will be entered into the United Way EPledge system and will then receive your personalized email and pledge form. If you do not receive the email for other reasons, please contact the Campaign office at united.way@ubc.ca with your contact details.

In order to change the email address that UBC United Way receives from payroll, please go to www.msp.ubc.ca. Log in with your CWL account. Once logged in, click on E-mail Adresses, under the “myPersonalInfo” section. The primary email that you enter in this window will be the email that UBC United Way receives.
Note that payroll only supplies information to UBC United Way once a year, hence the email you enter now will be the one that is received next year by UBC United Way.

Can I still donate using a paper form?

Yes. Pledge forms on which you can write your contact details and donation amount will be available at most UBC United Way events. You can also request one sent to you by contacting the UBC United Way Campaign Office at: 604-822-8929 or united.way@ubc.ca

I am a student and I want to donate. How can I do so through United Way EPledge?

All donations to United Way through the UBC Campaign are accepted whether they are made by students, staff or faculty. In order to enter you into the United Way EPledge system we will need the following information:

UBC Student ID
Email address

Please send all of this information to united.way@ubc.ca. If you do not wish to donate online we can send you a paper form. Email united.way@ubc.ca with your name and address to obtain a paper pledge form.

Does United Way keep a list of employees?

No, there is an annual turnover – in other words, United Way gets a new list of email addresses each year. Your name is removed from the list unless you become a donor. Donors are kept on the list in order to track previous donations, making it easier for you to decide your donation amount the following year.

Will I get junk mail associated with United Way?

There will be no solicitations sent to your email address.

How will I receive my tax receipt?

If you donated through payroll deduction, the amount will appear on your T4 slip.

Tax receipts are issued for donations $25 and over unless otherwise requested.
• Tax receipts for Cash/Cheque and Credit Card contributions processed up to and including
December 31 are mailed directly to the donor’s home address.

Payroll deductions begin in the New Year following a campaign. T4 slips applying to that
tax year are issued the following February. For example, if you pledge a gift in
October, payroll deductions begin first payroll in January. T4 slips are generated the
following February.

Where is the server located?

The server is located in Toronto, Ontario.

To Top